North Central Region road construction update
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
To learn more about traffic impacts and current construction projects in Wisconsin’s north central region:
- Follow us on Twitter: @511WI_NoCentral
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/ for additional project information and pictures.
Highway: US 45
Location: Rusch Road to County B, town of Neva
Schedule: August 10 to September 18, 2015
Description: Crews will rout and seal cracks and seal coat the highway to extend the life of the pavement.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures in both directions.
Highway: I-39 (*updated*)
Location: I-39 bridges at the WIS 153 interchange, Mosinee
Schedule: September 3, 2014 to October 30, 2015
Cost: $3.4 million
Description: Crews will remove and reconstruct the new concrete bridge decks and parapet walls, new guardrail and some pavement replacement on I-39. Improvements also include repairing the concrete slope paving under the bridges and some minor repairs to the median along WIS 153.
- Northbound I-39 is reduced to 55 MPH.
- 8 to 10 p.m. August 19 – Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH on northbound I-39.
- 10 p.m. August 19 to 5 a.m. August 20 – Crews will close northbound I-39. Traffic will be detoured via the WIS 153 interchange. Motorists on southbound I-39 can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH.
- Motorists can also expect to encounter single lane closures on eastbound and westbound WIS 153.
Location: I-39/Business 51 interchange, Rothschild
Schedule: August 25, 2014 to November 18, 2015
Cost: $12.2 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the I-39/Business 51 interchange ramps, Business 51 between Village Way and Eagle Nest Boulevard, and the Cedar Creek Bridge. An off-road path will be constructed along the northbound side of Business 51 from Village Way to Stoney Rivers Drive.
- Lane closures on Business 51 between Village Way and Eagle Nest Boulevard
- Reduced speed limit of 55 MPH and a reduced lane width of 11 feet on I-39 near the Business 51 interchange
Highway: WIS 29 (*updated*)
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2014 to May 25, 2017
Cost: $18.8 million
Description: Crews will widen and replace bridge decks on WIS 29 bridges over Business 51 and the Wisconsin River.
- The Business 51 on-ramp to westbound WIS 29 will be closed daily from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. until Saturday, August 15. During closures, traffic will be detoured via the County X interchange.
- Westbound WIS 29 is reduced to one lane and has a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH between Business 51 and Sunrise Drive.
- There will also be sidewalk closures along Business 51 between Everest Drive and West Grand Avenue. One sidewalk will remain open to pedestrian traffic.
Highway: US 8
Location: Gatewood Heights Road to North Rifle Road
Schedule: August 3, 2015 to October 14, 2015
Cost: $2.39 million
Description: Crews will mill and resurface the roadway. Other improvements include the installation of new guardrail, curb and gutter, culverts, centerline rumble strips. Turn lanes will be added at the intersection of US 8 and Crescent Road.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures and flagging operations.
Highway: WIS 54
Location: WIS 54/Maple Drive intersection, Plover
Schedule: May 4, 2015 to September 2015
Cost: $2 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the intersection as a single lane roundabout. Sidewalks will be extended north from the roundabout to connect with sidewalks at the WIS 54/Portage County B/Business 51 intersection.
Traffic impacts: The WIS 54/Maple Drive intersection is closed and detoured via I-39 and Portage County B.
Highway: I-39/Reserve Street
Location: WIS 66 to Business 51, Stevens Point
Schedule: October 13, 2014 to November 2015
Cost: $5.4 million
Description: Crews will replace the northbound and southbound I-39 bridges over Reserve Street. The southbound bridge will be widened to improve safety for traffic merging from Business 51. Additional improvements include: reconstructing part of Reserve Street between Northpoint Drive and Bluebell Lane and installing curb and gutter, bicycle lanes and a shared-use path along Reserve Street.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on northbound and southbound I-39 can expect to encounter a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH, and a reduced lane width of 12 feet. Reserve Street is closed (under I-39) and is scheduled to reopen by November 20. No formal detour is posted.
Highway: WIS 70
Location: South Fork Flambeau River Bridge, Fifield
Schedule: July 22, 2015 to mid-October, 2015
Description: Crews will replace the South Fork Flambeau River Bridge deck, bearing, railing, and beam guard.
Traffic impacts: WIS 70 is closed at the bridge.
- Eastbound traffic is detoured via East Central Avenue, Balsam Street, and Old 70 Road.
- Westbound traffic is detoured via Old 70 Road, Balsam Street, and Willow Avenue.
- There is a reduced lane width of 12 feet on the detour route.
Highway: US 8
Location: Rusk County line to Jump River Bridge
Schedule: July 20, 2015 to October 15, 2015
Cost: $3.5 million
Description: Crews will resurface US 8 and replace the guardrail. Additional improvements include culvert replacements, centerline rumble strip installation, sidewalk and curb and gutter repair, and curb ramp replacements.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures, flagging operations, and temporary traffic signals.
Highway: WIS 22
Location: Main Street, 10th Street to 13th Street, Clintonville
Schedule: June 1, 2015 to mid-October 2015
Cost: $2.4 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the Pigeon River bridge and WIS 22 from 10th Street to 13th Street. Other work includes replacing the city’s water main and sewer systems between the Pigeon River bridge and 13th Street.
Traffic impacts: WIS 22 is closed between 10th Street and 13th Street. Traffic is detoured via 7th Street, Lyon Street, 12th Street, SSGT Warren Hansen Drive, and WIS 156.
Highway: WIS 21
Location: West Branch White River structure, west of Wautoma
Schedule: June 22 to September 11, 2015
Description: Crews will replace the culvert pipe beneath WIS 21 at the West Branch White River. The new structure will be a concrete culvert with a natural streambed bottom, which will facilitate movement of fish and other wildlife under the roadway.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on WIS 21 can expect to encounter temporary traffic signals, single lane closures, and a reduced lane width of 11 feet. County Y will be closed at WIS 21 for the duration of the project.
Location: WIS 21 and County CH bridges, Coloma
Schedule: September 22, 2014 to November 15, 2015
Cost: $2.5 million
Description: Crews will improve three bridges along I-39: two over Waushara County CH; and the WIS 21 bridge over I-39.
Traffic impacts: No traffic impacts until after Labor Day.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.