North Central Region Road Construction Update 5-31-18
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides weekly road construction updates for counties in north central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood.
Construction schedules are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction progress.
Highway: US 2
Location: Between WIS 122 and County B, town of Saxon
Schedule: April 20 to early August 2018
Description: Crews will replace the bridge deck and make improvements to the approaches.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and temporary traffic signals.
Highway: US 8 (*updated*)
Location: Between Klade Road and Gatewood Heights Road
Schedule: May 29 to mid-October 2018
Cost: $2.7 million
Description: Crews are replacing the pavement on US 8 and making improvements at the interchange with US 51.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect flagging operations, lane shifts, single lane closures, and some minor delays.
Highway: WIS 47/55 (*updated*)
Location: Between the Shawano County line and Duquaine Road
Schedule: May 30 to November 2018
Cost: $3 million
Description: Crews are reconstructing the highway. Improvements include construction of a roundabout at the intersection with Standing Pines Drive.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures, flagging operations and an 11-foot lane width restriction.
Highway: I-39 and WIS 54 (*updated*)
Locations: I-39 (WIS 54 to North 2nd Street)
Schedule: April 23 to late June 2018
Cost: $7.4 million
Description: Crews will resurface the highways. Improvements include applying a high-friction surface to the I-39 bridges over the Plover River, and to northbound I-39 between Business 51 and the North 2nd Street overpass.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on I-39 can expect to encounter single lane closures and speed reductions. Motorists can also expect to encounter nighttime work zones.
- June 4: The northbound on and off ramps at the WIS 54 interchange will be closed from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- June 4: The southbound on and off ramps at the Business 51 interchange will be closed from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- June 4: The southbound off ramp at the WIS 66 east/Stanley Street interchange will be closed from 2 a.m. to 6 a.m.
- June 5: The southbound on and off ramps at the WIS 54 interchange will be closed from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- June 5: The southbound on ramp at the WIS 66 east/Stanley Street interchange will be closed from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Motorists can expect to be detoured to the next interchange when crews are paving lanes in from of the ramps.
Highway: WIS 54 (*updated*)
Location: I-39 interchange (Plover)
Schedule: April 2 to June 8, 2018
Description: Crews will place a concrete deck overlay on the bridge and make improvements to the bridge approaches.
Traffic impacts: Crews reopened the WIS 54 bridge to two lanes on May 31. Motorists can expect ramp closures:
- June 6: The southbound off ramp will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- June 7: The northbound off ramp will be closed from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- During the ramp closures, traffic will be detoured via the County B interchange.
Highway: WIS 182
Location: WIS 13 to Saunders Avenue and the Flambeau River bridge, in Park Falls
Schedule: May 22, 2017 to June 8, 2018
Cost: $2.8 million
Description: Crews replaced the bridge over the North Fork of the Flambeau River. Remaining work includes staining and sealing the new bridge, resurfacing WIS 182 between WIS 13 and Saunders Avenue, curb and gutter, and new sidewalks.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures, temporary traffic signals, and flagging operations.
Highway: US 51
Location: 3rd Avenue (Woodruff) to Tuckaway Road (Arbor Vitae)
Schedule: April 2, 2018 to mid-October 2019
Cost: $9.3 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the highway to a five-lane configuration between 3rd Avenue and Tuckaway Road, replace storm sewer and culverts, replace water mains and sanitary sewer, replace traffic signals at the US 51/3rd Avenue and US 51/WIS 47 intersections, add right-turn lanes from US 51 to WIS 47, and replace street lighting.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures, flagging operations, and some delays during peak travel hours. US 51 and WIS 47 are restricted to a maximum 12-foot width. Access to adjacent properties will be maintained.
Highway: US 45/WIS 96 intersection
Schedule: April 16 to August 2018
Cost: $1.4 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the intersection into a single-lane roundabout.
- Motorists can expect to encounter daytime, single lane closures and flagging operations.
- WIS 96: Closed at the intersection and detoured via WIS 110, US 10 and WIS 76. The highway is expected to reopen August 1.
- US 45: Open to one of lane in each direction and restricted to a 13-foot maximum width.
Motorists are reminded that using handheld cell phones in Wisconsin work zones is illegal.
To learn more about transportation news, project updates, studies, and more follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcent.