The Antigo Wrestling Team Sends Two to State This Year
FOR ANTIGO TIMES
The Antigo Wrestling team had a phenomenal showing at sectionals, with two individuals qualifying for state and another two just barely missing the trip finishing in third. As a team, Antigo finished 5th out of 16. This is the first year that Antigo will send multiple representatives to the state tournament since 2005.
Leading the way for the Robins was Senior Ben Stimac, who will be making his second trip to state thanks to an undefeated day. Stimac won two of his three matches by decision, and picked up a major decision as well.
Also qualifying for state was Senior Collinn Eldridge. Eldridge, having already set the all-time Antigo record for pins in a season, added three more on his way to a second-place finish.
Senior Korbin Krueger just missed a trip to state. After winning by injury default in the first round, Korbin dropped a decision in round 2. He was able to finish his high school career with a pin, putting his opponents’ shoulders to the mat in only 64 seconds in the third-place match.
Four Antigo wrestlers will be returning next year after qualifying for sectionals this year. Leading the non-Senior wrestlers was Junior Nick Roller with a third-place finish. Nick won a match by fall and a match by decision.
Junior Conner Dettman and Sophomores Joshua Heuss and Logan Edwards each lost in the first round.
Saturday also saw Collinn Eldridge and Korbin Krueger acquire their 100th career victories. With the addition of Ben Stimac, who achieved that milestone earlier this season, Antigo has three separate wrestlers with 100 victories. This is a feat that has never been accomplished by an Antigo team before. Speaking of historic accomplishments, Ben Stimac has already put himself at the top of the list for all time career victories, and Collinn Eldridge is at the top of the list for career pins.
|10||West De Pere||47.0|
|11||Green Bay Preble||33.0|
|14||Green Bay West/E/SW||18.0|
WIAA D1 Sect. @ Appleton North Results for Antigo
Conner Dettman (15-15) place is unknown and scored 0.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Jake Hendricks (West De Pere) 28-16 won by tech fall over Conner Dettman (Antigo) 15-15 (TF-1.5 3:33 (16-1))
Logan Edwards (26-20) place is unknown and scored 0.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Eric Barnett (Hortonville) 43-0 won by fall over Logan Edwards (Antigo) 26-20 (Fall 1:33)
Benjamin Stimac (38-10) placed 1st and scored 19.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Benjamin Stimac (Antigo) 38-10 won by major decision over Landon Thern (Hortonville) 27-13 (MD 21-10)
- Championship Bracket – Benjamin Stimac (Antigo) 38-10 won by decision over Austin Heim (Bay Port) 30-11 (Dec 10-9)
- 1st Place Match – Benjamin Stimac (Antigo) 38-10 won by decision over Max Sanderfoot (Kimberly) 32-9 (Dec 8-4)
Joshua Heuss (22-18) place is unknown and scored 0.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Tyler Locke (Appleton East) 29-2 won by major decision over Joshua Heuss (Antigo) 22-18 (MD 12-1)
Korbin Krueger (22-8) placed 3rd and scored 14.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Korbin Krueger (Antigo) 22-8 won by injury default over Jake Thiel (Appleton North) 26-17 (Inj. 1:14)
- Championship Bracket – Marty Kiernan (Ashwaubenon) 27-15 won by decision over Korbin Krueger (Antigo) 22-8 (Dec 8-3)
- 3rd Place Match – Korbin Krueger (Antigo) 22-8 won by fall over Lucas Gracyalny (Pulaski) 27-13 (Fall 1:04)
Collinn Eldridge (39-8) placed 2nd and scored 20.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Collinn Eldridge (Antigo) 39-8 won by fall over Zach Arent (Kimberly) 21-22 (Fall 2:26)
- Championship Bracket – Collinn Eldridge (Antigo) 39-8 won by fall over Quinton Schuyler Jr. (West De Pere) 24-15 (Fall 2:41)
- 1st Place Match – Bryson Alsteen (Kaukauna) 45-4 won by fall over Collinn Eldridge (Antigo) 39-8 (Fall 4:16)
- 2nd Place Match – Collinn Eldridge (Antigo) 39-8 won by fall over Tommy Kratz (De Pere) 38-9 (Fall 1:25)
Nick Roller (36-11) placed 3rd and scored 12.0 team points.
- Championship Bracket – Nick Roller (Antigo) 36-11 won by fall over Wes King (Appleton North) 3-6 (Fall 0:56)
- Championship Bracket – Keith Tourtillott (Shawano Com.) 33-6 won by decision over Nick Roller (Antigo) 36-11 (Dec 8-3)
- 3rd Place Match – Nick Roller (Antigo) 36-11 won by decision over Derek Gibbons (Pulaski) 29-9 (Dec 13-6)