April is Child Abuse Prevention Month
FOR ANTIGO TIMES
WHO: Langlade County Citizen Review Panel
WHAT: Display of more than 400 pinwheels.
WHEN: April 1st – 30th , 2019.
WHERE: Boys and Girls Club of Langlade County – 411 Superior St. Antigo, WI 54409
WHY: This display was set up for awareness of national Child Abuse Prevention Month.
The Pinwheel display in front of the Boys & Girls Club serves as a reminder that all children deserve great childhoods.
CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION FACTS: Programs that support families, such as home visitation programs and family resource centers, are proven to strengthen families and prevent child abuse and neglect. Studies show that children do well when their parents do well. Supporting families and ensuring parents have knowledge, skills and resources they need to parent effectively can help protect children from the risk of child abuse and neglect.
The pinwheel display in front of the Boys and Girls Club of Langlade County serves as a reminder of the great childhoods we want for all children in our communities. We hope that as people pass by they will be encouraged to become more involved in a child’s life and spend more quality time with their own children.
The Langlade County Citizen Review Panel is a group of volunteer citizens working with the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families (DCF) and the Langlade Department of Social Services to improve child protective services at the state and local levels. We believe that every child deserves to grow up in a safe, stable, and nurturing environment. Each year the panel provides an annual report to DCF which includes recommendations to improve the child welfare system. Citizen Review Panels are created under the federal Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA). The vision of the Langlade County CRP is community members working together to achieve a common goal of protecting and educating children and their families. We have a working mission of empowering and providing opportunities to our children and families in order to keep them safe and united by improving CPS and education with the community. Parents, caregivers, and community members will be provided tools and resources to promote healthy and stable environments and an understanding of child protective services. Look for more activities to come in the future!
The Langlade County Citizen Review Panel encourages all individuals and organizations to:
- Take time to talk to parents in your neighborhood – get to know them.
- Share local resources with families.
- Advocate for legislation and funding which support family programs within your community.
- Donate new or gently used clothing, toys to programs that support families with children.
- Bring a meal or groceries to a family with young children.
- Organize a family fun event – such as a family story night, game or movie night
To learn more about child abuse prevention and for more ideas how to become involved; visit:
- Children’s Hospital of Wisconsin: https://www.chw.org/
- Prevent Child Abuse Wisconsin: www.preventchildabusewi.org
- Department of Children and Families: https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/prevention
- Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Board: www.preventionboard.wi.gov
To learn more about the Langlade County Citizen Review panel please contact:
- Rachel Ramer – Co-Chairperson at 715-627-6611 or firstname.lastname@example.org