Langlade County Health Department Provides Post-Storm Health and Safety Tips
FOR ANTIGO TIMES
As Langlade County residents recover from power outages following recent storms, the Langlade County Health Department is encouraging residents to take these steps to protect their health and stay safe:
- If you use a generator, make sure it’s at least 20 feet from your home. Generators create carbon monoxide. In enclosed spaces, the carbon monoxide can build up and cause sickness or death.
- Throw out food if you can’t be sure it’s safe. Throw out any refrigerated food if your power was out for four hours or more. If frozen foods still have ice crystals, they can be refrozen.
- Wear sturdy shoes or boots, long sleeves, and gloves when handling or walking on or near debris or among damaged or destroyed buildings. Storms can damage power lines, gas lines, or electrical systems increasing the risk for fire, electrocution, or explosions. Watch for exposed nails and broken glass.
- Avoid carbon monoxide poisoning – don’t use items powered by gasoline, propane, natural gas, or things like grills that burn charcoal— inside your home, garage, or camper. Avoid using them near open windows or near a vent. Seek prompt medical attention if you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
- Continue to check the media for emergency information, including where to get help and areas to avoid.
- Check in on your neighbors, especially the elderly or others who are vulnerable.
For the future, stock an emergency supply kit with a three-day supply of food and water, cell phone and charger, flashlight and batteries, can opener, first aid kit, extra cash, and a change of clothes.
For more information about local power recovery efforts, contact WPS at 800-450-7240 or Alliant at 800-255-4268. For information regarding specific health concerns, contact your health care provider or the Langlade County Health Department, at 715-627-6250.