Alexandra Hofrichter Achieves All-American Status, Finishes 8th at USA Wrestling National Recruiting Showcase
FOR THE ANTIGO TIMES
Alexandra Hofrichter continued her successful spring season of wrestling, adding some more hardware to her trophy case and becoming the first high school All-American wrestler in Antigo history. Competing just outside of Iowa Hawkeye country, Hofrichter participated in the USA Wrestling Nation Recruiting Showcase, a national event put on to help college scouts evaluate the best freestyle wrestlers in the country on Saturday, March 27th.
Hofrichter competed at 152 pounds, in a bracket that featured multiple nationally ranked individuals, and even more state champions. After a first-round bye, Hofrichter matched up with Ashley Godinez of Georgia. Hofrichter took control of the match early, countering a head throw attempt by Godinez with a belly to back throw to gain the first 4 points of the match. Hofrichter then added another 2 with a takedown off of a front headlock, followed by another front headlock to increase her lead to 8. To finish the match, Hofrichter countered another attempted throw by Godinez with a feet to back throw of her own for 4 points, and won by technical fall 12-0.
In the quarterfinals, Hofrichter matched up with Haley Ward of Missouri. Ward entered the competition as the 9th ranked wrestler in the nation at 152 pounds, a ranking she earned by winning pre-season nationals and a Missouri state championship. Ward was able to score first with a fireman’s takedown 23 seconds into the match to put the first 4 points on the board. Ward was then able to counter a Hofrichter shot attempt to score a 2-point takedown, and then used a pair of armbars to earn exposure points and take the 10-0 victory. Ward would continue winning throughout the day, defeating Dakota-Mar Dinielli, the 6th ranked wrestler in the nation at 152 pounds, 10-0 in the finals.
The loss sent Hofrichter to the consolations, where she matched up with Samantha Spielbauer of Iowa, a state runner-up this year. Hofrichter found herself securing a belly-to-belly body lock, and used it to throw Spielbauer directly to her back, earning 4 points in the process 15 seconds into the match. Hofrichter was then able to secure another belly to belly throw 20 seconds later, increasing her lead to 8-0. Refusing to go down without a fight, Spielbauer was able to execute a power double and put Hofrichter on her back at the 75 second mark to cut the lead to 8-4. Hofrichter was able to almost immediately reverse the position, and put Spielbauer on her back, earning the pinfall victory at 1:36 of the first round.
In the next set of consolations, Hofrichter matched up with Brooklyn Hays of Utah. Hays was a Utah State champion this year, as well as winning multiple other events recently. Hays was able to get on the board first, using an underhook for a four-point throw 20 seconds into the match. Hofrichter was able to fight out of a tight pinning combination, and eventually reversed the position to cut the lead to 4-1 at the one-minute mark. At the midpoint mark of the first round, Hays was able to score on an underhook hip toss for another 4 points, and increased her lead to 8-1. Once again, Hofrichter refused to be pinned, and was able to fight off of her back despite a valiant attempt by Hays to secure the fall. With 50 seconds left in the round, Hofrichter was able to convert on a double leg to score a takedown and cut the deficit to 8-3. At the end of the first period, Hofrichter was able to use an underhook of her own to secure a takedown, leading to a 8-5 score at the end of the first period.
Hofrichter started the second round strong, using a front headlock to get to an under over dog fight position, scoring 2 points in the process for the takedown. With 2 minutes left in the second period, Hays was able to drag through a front headlock attempt, and scored on a takedown to increase her lead to 10-7. With one minute remaining, Hofrichter was able to score a takedown on a double leg, tightening the match to 10-9. With time running out, Hays was able to convert a takedown off of a Hofrichter shot attempt, leading to a Hays victory 12-9.
In the 7th place match, Hofrichter met Mia Cayard, who was a state runner up in Oklahoma this year. Hofrichter started the scoring early, using an over/underhook position to hit a lateral for 4 points. Cayard then did an excellent job of preventing the fall, despite Hofrichter keeping her in positions of danger for over a minute and a half. Near the end of the first period, Hofrichter was able to counter a strong shot attempt by Cayard into a takedown, and took a 6-0 lead into the second period.
Hofrichter increased her lead to 7-0 early in the second period, securing a point on a push out. 30 seconds later, Cayard was able to convert on a double leg attempt, taking Hofrichter straight to her back and making the score 7-4. Cayard was then able to counter a Hofrichter lateral attempt into a scramble on the mat, and from there, was able to use an underhook to execute a hip toss for another 4 points. Cayard was able to secure the pin fall from this position at 4:06.
Hofrichter finished 8th, becoming a USA Wrestling Freestyle All-American in the process. Up next for Hofrichter was the 2021 USA Wrestling Girls Folkstyle Nationals, which was held on Sunday, March 28th.
High School Girls 152
Alexandra Hofrichter’s place is 8th and has scored 10.0 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) received a bye () (Bye)
- Champ. Round 2 – Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) won by tech fall over Ashley Godinez (Chestatee High School Wrestling) (TF 12-0)
- Quarterfinal – Haley Ward (Jackson County Wrestling) won by tech fall over Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) (TF 10-0)
- Cons. Round 4 – Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) won by fall over Samantha Spielbauer (Iowa) (Fall 1:36)
- Cons. Round 5 – Brooklyn Hays (Utah) won by decision over Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) (Dec 12-9)
- 7th Place Match – Mia Cayard (Oklahoma) won by fall over Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) (Fall 4:06)
High School Girls – 152
- 1st Place – Haley Ward of Jackson County Wrestling
- 2nd Place – Dakota-Marie Dinielli of FishEye Wrestling
- 3rd Place – Maggie Graham of Bluff City Wrestling Club
- 4th Place – Anna McDougal of Oregon
- 5th Place – Stella Steigler of Hornet Wrestling Club
- 6th Place – Brooklyn Hays of Utah
- 7th Place – Mia Cayard of Oklahoma
- 8th Place – Alexandra Hofrichter of Wisconsin
1st Place Match
- Haley Ward (Jackson County Wrestling) won by tech fall over Dakota-Marie Dinielli (FishEye Wrestling) (TF 10-0)
3rd Place Match
- Maggie Graham (Bluff City Wrestling Club) won by tech fall over Anna McDougal (Oregon) (TF 11-0)
5th Place Match
- Stella Steigler (Hornet Wrestling Club) won by decision over Brooklyn Hays (Utah) (Dec 8-0)
7th Place Match
- Mia Cayard (Oklahoma) won by fall over Alexandra Hofrichter (Wisconsin) (Fall 4:06)