Vandeweerd Wins Regional Tournament, Hagerty and Kielcheski Also Qualify For Sectionals
FOR THE ANTIGO TIMES
The postseason started for the Antigo wrestling team with a trip to Oconto Falls for the regional tournament on February 13th. Oconto Falls, the 10th ranked team in the state, won the team side of the tournament, with Great Northern Conference champion Tomahawk coming in second.
On the individual side, wrestlers had to finish in the top 2 of their division to qualify for the sectional tournament, and 3 Antigo wrestlers were able to do just that.
Leading the charge was heavyweight Brady Vandeweerd, who lived up to his current state ranking of 8th with a dominant performance. Vandeweerd earned the number one seed, and had byes into the finals. In the finals, he faced Michell Kallies of Oconto Falls, who currently is an honorable mention in the state rankings. Kallies was able to defeat another honorable mention in Asenex Turney of Menominee Indian in the semifinals.
Vandeweerd was able to take control of the match early, earning a takedown at the 44 second mark. It only took the Antigo wrestler another 22 seconds to turn and pin Kallies. Vandeweerd will look to continue his impressive season next weekend.
Also qualifying for sectionals were Robby Hagerty and Nolan Kielcheski. Hagerty, competing at 170 pounds and also an honorable mention in the state rankings, started his day with a bye in the quarterfinals, and then a match up with Tate Zhuuckahosee of Menominee Indian. Hagerty was able to build a 5-point lead in the first period, using a takedown a little over half way into the period and then a 3 point nearfall at the end of the period.
Zhuuckahosee chose to start neutral to start the second, and Hagerty was able to take him down in 8 seconds. After an escape by Zhuuckahosse, Hagerty was able to earn another takedown, and added 2 nearfall points at the end of the period to increase his lead to 11-1.
Hagerty chose to start on top in the third period, and earned another three-point nearfall, picking up the major decision victory 14-1.
In the finals, Hagerty faced conference foe Logan Bishop of Tomahawk, the 7th ranked wrestler in the state. Bishop was able to secure the takedown at the 30 second mark, and won by pinfall in 1:20.
Hagerty then had a wrestle back for second place, and with a sectional spot on the line, dominated Brayden Kozlowski of Oconto Falls. Hagerty started the match with a takedown in the first period, and took a 2-0 lead into the second.
In the second period, Hagerty was able to score a reversal in only 7 seconds, and after a locked hands penalty gave Kozlowski a point, Hagerty was able to secure 3 nearfall points to increase his lead at the end of the period to 7-1.
In the third period, Hagerty added a takedown in 12 seconds, and this led to a pinfall victory at 5:12.
Freshman Nolan Kielcheski continued his strong late season wrestling, also finishing in second place at 152 pounds. In the quarterfinals, Kielcheski faced Nathan Miller of Menominee Indian. Kielcheski was able to get the takedown in 43 seconds, and was able to turn Miller to his back, earning the pinfall victory at 1:18.
In the semifinals, Kielcheski and Weston Borkovec of Oconto Falls had a back and forth first period, with Borkovec scoring the initial takedown and 3-point nearfall, before Kielcheski countered with an escape and takedown, leading to a 5-3 lead for Borkovec at the end of the first.
Borkovec then made the mistake of going on bottom, and Kielcheski was able to lock up a cradle, and the Antigo wrestler pinned his opponent 50 seconds into the second round.
In the finals, Kielcheski faced Jonny Bieber of Marinette, who carried an honorable mention in the state rankings into the match. Kielcheski was able to hang with the ranked wrestler in the first period, conceding only a takedown.
In the second round, Bieber was able to score on a reversal, and this led to a pinfall victory at 2:59.
Just missing a trip to sectionals were Hunter Cordova and Jayson Arrowood, with both finishing in third place. Cordova started the day with a match against Miklo Guzman of Menominee Indian. Guzman was able to secure the first takedown, but an escape by Cordova cut the score to 2-1 at the end of the first.
In the second, Guzman was able to earn an escape, but a takedown by Cordova with 35 seconds remaining tied the match. A late escape by Guzman gave him a 4-3 lead going into the third.
Cordova earned an escape in the third to once again tie the match, and then secured a takedown with 75 seconds remaining, turned his opponent, and earned the pinfall victory at 4:52.
In the semifinals, Cordova faced Connor Thomas of Peshtigo, the 8th ranked wrestler in the state. Cordova put up a valiant fight against the ranked wrestler, but lost by pinfall at 3:01.
In the third-place match, Cordova faced Luke Gilbertson of Oconto Falls. Gilbertson was able to secure the first takedown and take a 2-0 lead into the second period.
In the second period, Gilbertson increased his lead to 5-0 on the strength of an escape and a takedown. Cordova would then take over the match, with a reversal and 3-point nearfall to tie the match at 5.
Cordova took the lead with an escape at the beginning of the third period, and added a late takedown to seal the 8-5 victory. Unfortunately for the Antigo wrestler, Connor Thomas lost to 5th ranked Marcus Matti of Tomahawk, so there was no opportunity to wrestle back for 2nd place and a trip to sectionals.
Also finishing in third was Jayson Arrowood, competing at 145 pounds. Arrowood had a bye in the quarterfinals, and matched up with Gregory Turney of Menominee Indian in the semifinals. A late takedown by Turney with 18 seconds in the first round led to a 2-0 lead.
In the second round, Turney added another takedown and 3 nearfall points to increase his lead to 7. Arrowood then started his comeback, earning a reversal with 42 seconds left in the round to cut the score to 7-2.
In the third period, Arrowood scored a reversal in 8 seconds, and was able to pick up a pair of stalling points while trying to turn his opponent. Unfortunately, the Antigo wrestler ran out of time, and dropped a hard fought 7-6 decision.
In the third place match, Arrowood put on a clinic against Hudson Mattke of Tomahawk. Arrowood started with a takedown 21 seconds into the match, and also added a 3-point nearfall to end the 1st up 5-0.
In the second period, it took Arrowood just 9 seconds to score on a reversal, and he added another 3-point nearfall to take a 10-point lead into the third period.
In the third period, Arrowood added another reversal, this time in 19 seconds, and then added another 3-point nearfall for the 15-0 technical fall at 5:19.
Wyat Beaber started the day strong at 195 pounds with a match against Landen Helsinger of Menominee Indian. Beaber was able to jump out to a big first period lead, using a takedown, a 3-point nearfall, and a 2-point nearfall for an early 7-0 lead.
In the second period, Helsinger scored on a takedown, but a reversal by Beaber led to a pinfall victory for the Antigo wrestler at 3:57.
Beaber would then finish in 4th place dropping matches to Logan Paris of Marinette and Ethan Trayes of Tomahawk.
Also competing on the day was Johnny Wissbroecker at 106 pounds, who dropped a match by pinfall to Nakadin Boyd of Menominee Indian in his only match of the day.
Up next for Vandeweerd, Hagerty, and Kielcheski is sectionals next Saturday, once again in Oconto Falls.
WIAA D2 Reg. B2 @ Oconto Falls Results for Antigo
Johnny Wissbroecker (3-15) placed 5th and scored 5.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Nakadin Boyd (Menominee Indian) 12-12 won by fall over Johnny Wissbroecker (Antigo) 3-15 (Fall 4:47)
- Cons. Semi – Johnny Wissbroecker (Antigo) 3-15 received a bye () (Bye)
- 5th Place Match – Johnny Wissbroecker (Antigo) 3-15 received a bye () (Bye)
Jayson Arrowood (20-13) placed 3rd and scored 11.5 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Jayson Arrowood (Antigo) 20-13 received a bye () (Bye)
- Semifinal – Gregory Turney (Menominee Indian) 22-14 won by decision over Jayson Arrowood (Antigo) 20-13 (Dec 7-6)
- 3rd Place Match – Jayson Arrowood (Antigo) 20-13 won by tech fall over Hudson Mattke (Tomahawk) 17-13 (TF-1.5 5:19 (15-0))
- 2nd Place Match – Gregory Turney (Menominee Indian) 22-14 won by no contest over Jayson Arrowood (Antigo) 20-13 (NC)
Nolan Kielcheski (8-11) placed 2nd and scored 20.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Nolan Kielcheski (Antigo) 8-11 won by fall over Nathan Miller (Menominee Indian) 2-8 (Fall 1:18)
- Semifinal – Nolan Kielcheski (Antigo) 8-11 won by fall over Weston Borkovec (Oconto Falls) 12-13 (Fall 2:50)
- 1st Place Match – Jonny Bieber (Marinette) 20-7 won by fall over Nolan Kielcheski (Antigo) 8-11 (Fall 2:59)
- 2nd Place Match – Nolan Kielcheski (Antigo) 8-11 won by no contest over Weston Borkovec (Oconto Falls) 12-13 (NC)
Robert Hagerty (20-17) placed 2nd and scored 21.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Robert Hagerty (Antigo) 20-17 received a bye () (Bye)
- Semifinal – Robert Hagerty (Antigo) 20-17 won by major decision over Tate Zhuuckahosee (Menominee Indian) 12-15 (MD 14-1)
- 1st Place Match – Logan Bishop (Tomahawk) 35-3 won by fall over Robert Hagerty (Antigo) 20-17 (Fall 1:20)
- 2nd Place Match – Robert Hagerty (Antigo) 20-17 won by fall over Brayden Kozlowski (Oconto Falls) 7-13 (Fall 5:12)
Wyat Beaber (3-17) placed 4th and scored 11.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Wyat Beaber (Antigo) 3-17 won by fall over Landen Helsinger (Menominee Indian) 6-11 (Fall 3:57)
- Semifinal – Logan Paris (Marinette) 18-7 won by fall over Wyat Beaber (Antigo) 3-17 (Fall 0:34)
- 3rd Place Match – Ethan Trayes (Tomahawk) 19-16 won by tech fall over Wyat Beaber (Antigo) 3-17 (TF-1.5 3:23 (19-4))
Hunter Cordova (7-12) placed 3rd and scored 14.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Hunter Cordova (Antigo) 7-12 won by fall over Miklo Guzman (Menominee Indian) 7-11 (Fall 4:52)
- Semifinal – Connor Thomas (Peshtigo) 39-7 won by fall over Hunter Cordova (Antigo) 7-12 (Fall 3:01)
- 3rd Place Match – Hunter Cordova (Antigo) 7-12 won by decision over Luke Gilbertson (Oconto Falls) 11-18 (Dec 8-5)
- 2nd Place Match – Connor Thomas (Peshtigo) 39-7 won by no contest over Hunter Cordova (Antigo) 7-12 (NC)
Brady Vandeweerd (20-4) placed 1st and scored 26.0 team points.
- Quarterfinal – Brady Vandeweerd (Antigo) 20-4 received a bye () (Bye)
- Semifinal – Brady Vandeweerd (Antigo) 20-4 received a bye () (Bye)
- 1st Place Match – Brady Vandeweerd (Antigo) 20-4 won by fall over Mitchell Kallies (Oconto Falls) 24-10 (Fall 1:06)