WisDOT North Central Region Road Construction Update #11
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) North Central Region provides interstate and state highway construction updates for the following counties in north central Wisconsin: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara and Wood counties.
Construction schedules may fluctuate pending weather conditions and crew availability.
This update can be found at: https://projects.511wi.gov/weeklyupdates-nc/
Highway: WIS 23
Location: Columbia County line to the Marquette County line
Schedule: April 13 to July 8
Project ID: 6566-00-72
Project description: Crews will resurface the highway and replace culverts east of 6th Lane and County B intersection, west of 2nd Lane and between 2nd Lane and County XX. The guardrail at Mason Lake will be replaced, the roadway slopes regraded, a new asphalt overlay placed on the bridge over Neenah Creek, and centerline rumble strips installed through the project limits. The driveway to Cove Bar and Grill will be relocated slightly closer to 1st Drive.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will finish shouldering the roadway. Crews will be working on the bridge east of Briggsville in Marquette County. Permanent pavement marking will be placed over the culvert at Mason Lake. Surveying crews will be on site to re-establish section corner monuments.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect single-lane closures and flagging operations on WIS 23.
Highway: WIS 13
Location: WIS 13 and WIS 21 Intersection
Schedule: June 6 to Aug. 15
Project ID: 6140-01-71
Project description: The project will reconstruct the existing intersection with new hot-mix asphalt. The reconstructed intersection will remain a four-way stop. Traffic islands and curbs will be replaced as part of the project.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be signing and adding temporary pavement markings. They also will begin removing the existing pavement and laying new pavement on the south approach of the WIS 13 and WIS 21 intersection and the east approach of the intersection and be laying temporary pavement on eastbound WIS 21 outside of the roadway reconstruction limits for use in future stages.
- WIS 13 south WIS 21 will be closed to all traffic.
- WIS 13 through traffic will be detoured around the work zone using the wayside access road and eastbound WIS 21.
- The eastbound WIS 21 to southbound WIS 13 turning traffic will be closed and detoured using the wayside access road to WIS 13.
- The westbound WIS 21 left turn to WIS 13 southbound will be closed and detoured using westbound WIS 21 to the wayside access road to WIS 13.
- Southbound WIS 13 right and left turns to west- and eastbound WIS 21 will be maintained.
- Width restrictions of 12 feet maximum will be in place for the duration of the project.
Highway: WIS 139 (NEW)
Location: Cavour – Brule River, Popple River and Nicolet State Trail/Long Lake outlet bridges
Schedule: June 13 to late August
Project ID: 9110-09-60
Project Description: Crews will make concrete deck repairs on the WIS 139 Popple River Bridge, replace the concrete deck on the WIS 139 bridge over the Nicolet State Trail and replace an end wall on the Long Lake Outlet Creek culvert.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will continue removing the bridge deck on the Nicolet State Trail/Long Lake outlet bridge. They also will be working on surface repairs and barrier walls on the northbound direction of the Popple River Bridge.
- Motorists can expect WIS 139 to be closed at the bridge crossing the Nicolet State Trail, with traffic detoured on US 8, WIS 101 and WIS 70.
- WIS 139 over the Popple River will be reduced to a single lane between Sheldon Road and Forest Road 2161, with traffic controlled by temporary signals.
- The Nicolet State Trail will be closed. However, it will be open on weekends unless the contractor is working. ATV traffic will be detoured on Long Lake, Settlement and Lindahl Spur roads, and bicycle and pedestrian traffic will be detoured on Long Lake Road, WIS 139 and Fay Lake Road.
Highway: US 8
Location: Oneida County line to Boulevard Avenue in Crandon, Wolf River Bridge (near Cole Road) and Peshtigo River Bridge (near the intersection of US 8 and WIS 139)
Schedule: May 10 to Sept. 23
Project ID: 1590-18-61/62
Project Description: Crews will resurface US 8 from the Oneida County line to Boulevard Avenue in Crandon and make concrete deck repairs on the Wolf and Peshtigo River bridges.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be removing the concrete approach slabs for the bridges and anticipate pouring new approach slabs. They also will begin working on culvert replacements.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures controlled by temporary signals.
Highway: US 45
Location: County B north of Antigo to County J East
Schedule: May 31 to July 16
Project ID: 1602-10-72
Project description: Crews will resurface the highway and replace culvertsbetween County B and County J East.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will begin milling and paving from County B, moving north.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect a lane shift controlled by flagging.
Highway: WIS 64
Location: Elton Creek and Deer Creek
Schedule: May 16 to Aug. 31
Project ID: 9140-12-61
Project description: Crews will replace the existing culvert at Elton Creek with a reinforced concrete slab bridge and install a 48×76-inch reinforced concrete culvert at Deer Creek. In addition, guardrail upgrades and roadway work will be included.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will work on the bridge foundation construction on the east side of the structure.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures controlled by temporary signals.
Highway: US 51
Location: Marathon County line to Lincoln County K (Exit 211) in Merrill
Schedule: Completion by Nov. 15
Project ID: 1176-22-72/73
Project description: Crews will remove the existing asphalt surface and crushed concrete and then replace them with base materials and asphalt pavement; complete minor grading at median crossovers for traffic control; repave maintenance crossovers and interchange ramps; and add additional guardrail on northbound US 51 at WIS 64.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will complete gravel shoulders along US 51 and on all the ramps, install permanent pavement markings along the new northbound US 51 lanes and the northbound ramps at County Q, WIS 64 and County K and begin adjusting and repairing guardrail along the northbound US 51 lanes.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures in each direction from the Marathon County line to County K. Traffic is counter directional in the southbound lanes.
Highway: WIS 107 (NEW)
Location: Bridge over Little Pine Creek between Hillcrest and Dotter roads
Schedule: June 15 to Aug. 17
Project ID: 9305-09-73
Project description: Crews will replace the existing structure with a bridge that will provide proper clear width and upgrade the existing guardrail to meet current standards.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be setting up traffic control and starting erosion control, removing guardrail and signs and excavation.
Traffic impacts: Starting at 6 a.m. Wednesday, June 15, WIS 107 will be closed to through traffic at Little Pine Creek, and traffic will be detoured via County J, US 51 and County S.
Highway: WIS 153
Location: Rangeline Road to Water Street, Mosinee
Schedule: May 2 to September
Project ID: 6370-01-73/75/76
Project description: Crews will replace the roadway pavement between Rangeline Road and Novak Street and resurface the pavement between Novak Street and Water Street.
Anticipated work scheduled: Concrete crews will continue with sidewalk, driveway approaches, and curb and gutter. Asphalt crews will be working from Rangeline Road to Novak Street.
Traffic impacts: WIS 153 will be closed to through traffic and detoured using Rangeline Road and Main Street/County B until September.
Highway: US 8 (NEW)
Location: Monico to Oneida County Line
Schedule: June 13 to early August
Project ID: 1590-12-72
Project description: Crews will remove a portion of existing roadway pavement, place new asphalt pavement, replace and relay culvert end sections and replace deteriorated areas of curb and gutter.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be staking and placing advanced warning and fixed message signs.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect flagging operations throughout the length of the project.
Highway: I-39/US 10/WIS 66
Location: US 10 bridge over I-39, southbound I-39 ramp to Wildwood Drive, Country Club Drive intersection, Stevens Point
Schedule: April 4, 2022 to May 26, 2023
Project IDs: 1166-06-75 / 6290-09-70 / 6290-09-71
Project description: Crews will replace the bridge deck on the US 10/WIS 66 bridge over I-39. Bridge work also includes relocating the sidewalk to the median area and adding concrete barrier walls to protect the median walkway area.
Anticipated work scheduled:
- I-39 north- and southbound
- Crews will work on storm sewer and grading on the I-39 northbound on ramp.
- Crews will pave the northbound I-39 on ramp.
- US 10
o Crews will continue work on I-39 northbound on-ramp and West US 10 right-turn lane at Maple Bluff Road.
o Crews will make repairs to the bridge over I-39.
- Maple Bluff Road/Old Highway 18 intersection
o Crews will work on paving and curb and gutter on the right turn lane from West US 10.
o Crews will install traffic signals and light pole bases.
- The right lane of northbound I-39 will be closed from 6 a.m. Monday, June 13 to noon Friday, June 17.
- The following are closed to late October:
- I-39 northbound off-ramp to East US 10. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to East WI 66 to I-39 southbound.
- US 10 east- and westbound lanes.
- I-39 southbound off-ramp to West US 66. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
- West US 10 to I-39 southbound ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 northbound to East WIS 66 to I-39 southbound.
- East US 66 to I-39 northbound on-ramp. The signed detour route is I-39 southbound to County HH to I-39 northbound.
Location: Bridges over the railroad tracks and County B in Plover
Schedule: March 14 to Fall 2022
Project ID: 1166-12-89
Project description: Crews will replacethe decks for the bridges at the I-39/Portage County B interchange in Plover and resurface the I-39 bridges over the railroad tracks just north of the interchange. The project also includes replacing guardrail, repairing concrete pavement joints, replacing vehicle detection loops for traffic signals, repairing existing culverts and enhancing the existing over-height detection system for vehicles on the I-39 ramps or County B planning to pass under I-39.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will install traffic control and detector loops for ramp closures on the I-39/County B interchange and pave ramps. On County B, they will remove and pour concrete and install traffic control and detector loops.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect east- and westbound outside lane closures on County B approximately 1,200 feet on each side of I-39. Motorists can expect the northbound on- and off-ramps at I-39 to be closed from 6 a.m. Monday, June 13 to 6 a.m. Wednesday, June 15. Southbound on-and off-ramps will be closed from 6 a.m. Wednesday, June 15 to 6 a.m. Friday, June 17.
Highway: Business 51 (Post Road)
Location: Springville Drive to Tommy’s Turnpike
Schedule: April 11 to November
Project ID: 6414-00-79
Project description: Crews will reconstruct the roadway with new concrete pavement, new storm sewer, sanitary sewer and water mains and make the following surface improvements: turn lanes, raised medians, urban shoulders, sidewalk and streetlights.
Anticipated work scheduled:
- Crews will continue grading operations between Springville Drive and Patton Drive.
- Crews will begin placing gravel on the new southbound lanes along the west side of Post Road from Springville Drive to Roberts Road.
- Crews will continue the installation of storm sewer between Roberts Road and Mac Arthur Way.
- Crews will open Patton Drive and close MacArthur Way.
- Crews will begin the installation of the storm sewer and grit chamber in the intersection of MacArthur Way.
- North- and southbound Business 51 is reduced to a single lane in each direction from Plover Springs Drive to Tommy’s Turnpike.
- Traffic is shifted to the east side of the roadway in the existing northbound lanes.
- Patton Drive will reopen on Monday, June 13.
- MacArthur Way will be closed at the west side intersection with Post Road starting Monday, June 13. It will not be closed until the intersection of Patton Drive with Post Road is reopened.
- Springville Drive will be closed at the west side intersection with Post Road Monday, June 13 and reopen Tuesday, June 14.
- The sidewalk will remain open along the east side of Post Road from Plover Springs Drive to Porter Road.
Highway: WIS 13 and US 8
Schedule: May 12, 2022 to June 16, 2023
Project ID: 1610-44-62/63/64
Project description: Crews will resurface the bridges and replace curb, gutter and sidewalk.
Anticipated work scheduled:
- Elk River Bridge: Crews will continue to cure out the new overlay and reseal the west barrier wall and sidewalk. They also will be working under the structure and seal the new deck. Old approach slabs will be replaced along the new asphalt areas.
- Railroad bridge: Crews will be doing surface repairs on the substructures and seal the new deck overlay. Paving crews will be placing asphalt on approaches.
- Motorists can expect lane closures controlled by temporary traffic signals.
- Crews will always maintain at least one lane of traffic with a minimum clear width of 16 feet on WIS 13 and 13 feet on US 8 during construction.
Highway: WIS 153
Location: Marathon County line to US 45
Schedule: June 6 to late July
Project ID: 6108-02-60
Project description: Crews will be removing a portion of the asphalt pavement, placing new asphalt pavement, adding centerline rumble strips, replacing nine culverts, replacing guardrail at the South Fork Embarrass River Bridge, placing epoxy pavement marking and removing an old bridge over Tiger Creek.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will continue with placing culverts and excavating rock.
- WIS 153 is closed, but access is being maintained to homes and businesses in the work zone.
- The signed detour for through traffic will use WIS 49, WIS 29 and WIS 45.
- Local traffic will encounter flagging operations and a closure at Tiger Creek to facilitate culvert replacements.
Location: WIS 156 Bridge over Herman Creek
Schedule: June 16 to late August
Project ID: 6580-10-71
Project description: Crews will remove the existing bridge and replace it with a box culvert. Additional work will include reconstructing about 300 feet of road above the culvert, widening shoulders and extending shoulder slopes.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be installing erosion control devices and performing structure staking, clearing and grubbing of the roadway. In addition, traffic control devices to close WIS 156 to traffic and a signed detour will be set up.
Traffic impacts for next week: WIS 156 will be closed to through traffic for the duration of the project. The detour is WIS 47 between Briarton and Bonduel to WIS 29 between Bonduel and Angelica to WIS 55 between Angelica and Rose Lawn.
Highway: WIS 70
Location: County H to US 45, Eagle River
Schedule: May 2 to July 8
Project ID: 9080-14-72
Project description: Crews will remove and replace asphalt, concrete curb and gutter, concrete sidewalk and pavement markings.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be paving the mainline and sideroads. Additional work includes placing shoulder gravel and pavement markings.
Traffic impacts for next week: WIS 70 will remain open to one lane of traffic in each direction. Motorists can expect to encounter lane closures, flagging operations and daytime temporary lane shifts
Highway: US 51
Location: Trout River, town of Arbor Vitae
Schedule: March 28 to July 25
Project ID: 1170-20-61
Project description: Crews will remove and replace the Trout River culvert.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be excavating and removing the culvert and will be working on the bridge foundation.
Traffic impacts: US 51 is open. Motorists will encounter temporary signals and staged construction. A 12-foot width restriction is in place with posted advanced warnings at the intersection of US 51 and WIS 47 in Minocqua and US 51 and WIS 47 in Manitowish.
Trout River access: A temporary, signed portage route to maintain access to the Trout River was established on April 28.
Highway: US 45
Location: Oneida County line and WIS 70
Schedule: May 31 to July 29
Project ID: 1600-28-70
Project description: Crews will replace culvert pipes and resurface the highway.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will complete culvert replacement, place curb and gutter, grade at curb and gutter areas and pave at culvert areas.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures controlled by flagging operations. One 16-foot travel lane will be always maintained. All intersecting roads will remain open to traffic.
Highway: WIS 21
Location: 3rd Lane to Madison Street, Coloma
Schedule: May 2 to June 20
Project ID: 6170-00-73
Project description: Crews will remove a portion of the concrete pavement, repair concrete pavement, place new asphalt pavement, complete intersection work at I-39 northbound off-ramp at County CH and Madison Street and mark the pavement.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be working on curb and gutter and concrete pavement placement on the I-39 northbound off-ramp
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect a closure of the outside lane from the I-39 northbound off-ramp to Madison Street. Motorists can expect temporary traffic signals at the Madison Street and WIS 21 Intersection.
- The northbound I-39 off-ramp closed May 31 and will remain closed to June 20.
Location: Cottonville Avenue to County O between Coloma and Plainfield
Schedule: April 18 to Oct. 31
Project ID: 1166-07-79
Project description: Crews will remove existing asphalt pavement and place new asphalt pavement. Additional work will include updating the guardrail, placing shoulder gravel, adding shoulder rumble strips and placing new pavement marking.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be completing gravel shoulders, installing temporary guardrail, removing temporary barriers and starting milling and paving the outside lane and shoulder.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect lane closures with a reduced speed limit of 55 mph and a maximum width of 12 feet.
Location: Marquette County line to Cottonville Avenue north of Coloma
Schedule: April 18 to Aug. 5
Project ID: 1166-08-79
Project description: Crews will remove a portion of the existing asphalt pavement and place new asphalt pavement. Pavement replacement will occur at the Czech Avenue and County CH bridge approaches. Additional work will include updating the guardrail, placing shoulder gravel, adding shoulder rumble strips and placing new pavement marking.
Anticipated work scheduled: Crews will be placing the gravel shoulder and installing new guardrail.
Traffic impacts: Motorists can expect single-lane closures with a reduced speed limit of 55 mph.
For more information regarding traffic impacts, transportation news and improvement project updates in Wisconsin’s North Central region:
· Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTNorthCent
· View traffic cameras, lane closures and more at www.511wi.gov