North Central Region road construction update
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) provides a weekly update on road construction in North Central Wisconsin, which includes: Adams, Green Lake, Florence, Forest, Iron, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Marquette, Menominee, Oneida, Portage, Price, Shawano, Vilas, Waupaca, Waushara, and Wood counties.
To learn more about North Central Region transportation news, project updates, studies, and more:
- Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcent
- Visit the region’s 511 website: http://projects.511wi.gov/region/north-central/ for additional project information and pictures.
Highway: US 51
Location: Decator Drive to County WW
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to late October 2017
Cost: $6.32 million
Description: Crews will replace the bridge decks on northbound US 51 over Decator Drive and on northbound and southbound US 51 over County WW.
Traffic impacts: Motorists on northbound US 51 can expect to encounter single lane closures, a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH, and a reduced lane width of 15 feet.
Highway: WIS 29
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2014 to May 25, 2017
Cost: $18.8 million
Description: Crews will widen and replace bridge decks on WIS 29 bridges over Business 51 and the Wisconsin River.
- March 14 – Crews will close the Business 51 on-ramp to westbound WIS 29 at 7 p.m. During the closure, traffic will be detoured via the County X interchange. The ramp is scheduled to reopen at 6 a.m. on Tuesday, March 15.
- March 14 to March 17 – WIS 29, between Sunrise Drive and Volkman Street, will be reduced to one lane in each direction each night (7 p.m. to 6 a.m.).
- Motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH until mid-November.
- The sidewalk along the west side of southbound Business 51, between Everest Drive and West Grand Avenue will remain closed until mid-June 2016.
Location: WIS 23/82 to Edgewood Court
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to May 15, 2017
Cost: $7.2 million
Description: Crews will replace the I-39 southbound bridge and resurface the I-39 northbound bridge over the WIS 23/82 interchange, realign the southbound ramps at the interchange, realign a section of Crossroads Clinic Road, resurface the northbound and southbound I-39 bridges over Fawn Court, and raise the County M and Edgewood court bridges over I-39.
Traffic impacts: Crews will close the I-39 southbound shoulder within the WIS 23/82 interchange so crews can clear trees. Single lane closures on I-39 are currently scheduled to begin April 4.
Highway: US 51
Location: Rocky Run Road to County Y
Schedule: February 29, 2016 to November 2017
Cost: $10.1 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct US 51, replace culverts, reconstruct intersections, lengthen existing passing lanes, and construct a new bridge over Rocky Run Creek.
Traffic impacts: The northbound and southbound shoulders of US 51 are closed between Rocky Run Road and South Blue Lake Road so crews can clear trees. Periodic lane closures and flagging operations could begin as early as March 21.
Location: County D to Birch Drive
Schedule: March 14, 2016 to late August 2016
Cost: $2.65 million
Description: Crews will resurface the bridge decks and approaches on 13 bridges along I-39, including eight bridges on I-39 and five overpasses. Crews will also replace guardrail on the overpasses.
- Beginning March 14, motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and a reduced speed limit of 55 MPH on I-39 between just north of the County W interchange and just south of the WIS 54 interchange.
- Beginning March 21, motorists can expect to encounter single lane closures and temporary traffic signals on County D.
Highway: Business 51 (Post Road), Plover
Location: Green Drive to Springville Drive
Schedule: March 7, 2016 to late November 2016
Cost: $8.65 million
Description: Crews will convert the existing, undivided four-lane roadway to a divided four-lane roadway with wider lanes, a raised median, and designated turn lanes. Work also includes constructing new sidewalks, bicycle lanes, and providing new street lighting.
Traffic impacts: Crews are currently installing temporary traffic signals at the Post Road intersections with Chestnut Drive, Roosevelt Drive, and Plover Springs Drive. Motorists can also expect to encounter periodic single lane closures until March 25. Continuous lane closures on Business 51 are currently scheduled to begin as early as March 28.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.