North Central Region road construction update
Highway: US 51 (*updated*)
Location: Falcon Drive to Rainbow Drive (north of Wausau), town of Maine
Schedule: August 31, 2015 to June 2016
Cost: $2.1 million
Description: Crews will place concrete overlays on five bridges: Falcon Drive over US 51, northbound and southbound US 51 over Maine Drive, and northbound and southbound US 51 over Rainbow Drive.
Traffic impacts: Crews have suspended construction operations for this year. Work is scheduled to resume in March 2016.
Highway: I-39 (*updated*)
Location: I-39 bridges at the WIS 153 interchange, Mosinee
Schedule: September 3, 2014 to November 25, 2015
Cost: $3.4 million
Description: Crews will remove and reconstruct the new concrete bridge decks and parapet walls, new guardrail and some pavement replacement on I-39. Improvements also include repairing the concrete slope paving under the bridges and some minor repairs to the median along WIS 153.
- Crews plan to complete work before the end of the day on November 25, 2015.
Highway: I-39 (*updated*)
Location: I-39/Business 51 interchange, Rothschild
Schedule: August 25, 2014 to November 24, 2015
Cost: $12.2 million
Description: Crews will reconstruct the I-39/Business 51 interchange ramps, Business 51 between Village Way and Eagle Nest Boulevard, and the Cedar Creek Bridge. An off-road path will be constructed along the northbound side of Business 51 from Village Way to Stoney Rivers Drive.
- Lane closures on Business 51 between Village Way and Eagle Nest Boulevard
- Crews plan to complete work before the end of the day on November 24, 2015.
Highway: WIS 29 (*updated*)
Location: Sunrise Drive to Business 51
Schedule: April 29, 2014 to May 25, 2017
Cost: $18.8 million
Description: Crews will widen and replace bridge decks on WIS 29 bridges over Business 51 and the Wisconsin River.
- Crews plan to suspend construction operations for this year on November 24, 2015. Work is scheduled to resume in March 2016.
- The sidewalk along the west side of southbound Business 51, between Everest Drive and West Grand Avenue, is closed. It will remain closed to pedestrians until summer 2016.
Motorists are reminded to drive with caution in the work zone and should be prepared to encounter slow moving trucks. Motorists should slow down, use caution and stay alert when driving through construction zones. To avoid delays, consider taking an alternative route and avoid peak travel periods.
Construction-related traffic impacts are subject to change and are dependent on favorable weather conditions and construction status.
- NEW** Follow us on Twitter: @WisDOTnorthcen